A Travellerspoint blog

St John

Have a slow connection here so can't load any pics.

Set out for St John yesterday around noon. It's only about 4 miles from the East end, Red Hook, of St Thomas but about a mile out a storm came through. We hit winds of 20 - 25 knots and torential rain. Visability was down to about 100 yards and as we were in a major traffic lane, ferries to & from the islands, I rounded back a bit to the North and waited till the storm passed.

Poked into a small protected harbor to get out of the winds for the night. It's a very crowded anchorage and it looked like all the mooring balls are private, so we dropped anchor. It wasn't long till we got opinions from 3 of the local dudes. "Who the heck anchores in the middle of a mooring field?" We were politely advised that we could use one of the empty balls for a night or two. So we did.

It was windy and rainy all night long. Looks like it will be the same for the rest of the week. But we'll be sticking to our plans to cruise the North side of St John, hit a couple of nice bays and do some snorkling. Hope to get over to Tortola by the end of the week to catch a couple days of Festival. It's their summer carnival.

Posted by Heart of Gold 08:12

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.